Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route (OBDR)

Day 1 

  So the first day of my OBDR experience was pretty classic in my opinion. I was camped outside Ashland off Copco Rd. for about a week waiting for my friend/couch surf host from Bakersfield "Casey" to ride up on his Drz. When our schedules didn't work out I decided to hit the trail and have him meet me down the line. The morning I was set to leave I decided to ride Copco the 40 or so miles to the California border to make it official. It was hot and I left half my gear at camp and went without protection, dumb I know. Sure enough whipping around a loose left corner my Trail Wing rear tire decided to let go. I over corrected and shot all the way over to the shoulder where my front picked a rut and went with it. Next thing I know I'm sliding on my right arm and helmet and notice a barbed wire fence coming up fast. Thankfully the shoulder was deep and soft and Marla dug in and stopped us in time. I jumped right up and looked at my right forearm/elbow and all I saw was blood and sand. After some grunting and shaking it off I pulled out my first aid kit, cold water from my camelback, a bandana and went to work. After patching my self up and happy that I finally got to pop the cherry on my first aid kit I hit the road again...

 photo OBDR1_zps9a647a73.jpg

 photo Shiteatinggrin_zps7e01ed91.jpg
 photo Marla_zps9b522e16.jpg
 photo Leastexpect_zps3fa3752e.jpg

Official start of the "3" trail near Ashland off 66 (Old Hyatt Prairie Rd.)
 photo OldHyatt_zps964bae11.jpg
 photo Begginingoftheend_zps1241eb84.jpg
Climate change?!
 photo Climatechange_zpsb489f92d.jpg
 photo Blah_zpsd1ebcbe9.jpg

Stoke!
 photo stoke_zpsd03d5afc.jpg
 photo WOW3_zpse4cff9ba.jpg
 photo way_zps5b396919.jpg
 photo Sacred_zpse1352bd0.jpg
 photo Peace_zps597765be.jpg
 photo Ribbed_zpsacda6204.jpg
 photo two_zpsbd4b9048.jpg
 photo Lake_zps7e849523.jpg
 photo Somewhere_zps6757cb52.jpg
 photo Photoop_zps9f252cec.jpg
 photo AAAAAAAAAAAAA_zps073822f2.jpg
 photo Going_zps49788e6c.jpg
Casey ADV Salute

 photo Salute_zpsb0b918b8.jpg
 photo Ego_zpscb89926a.jpg
Going, going.......

 photo Gone_zpsc3868693.jpg
Gone!

 photo Sadness_zps5b651dce.jpg
This series definitely deserves some background. Somewhere north of Bend I believe we ran into a volcanic area which was being used as a quarry. The view was spectacular and you could see the last lava flow down below for miles. Well we decided to take a snack break on top of the hill while enjoying the scenery. Not soon after a fire truck pulled up with a few guys and gals inside. Apparently they were there on a mission. From what we heard all newbies get brought to this spot and have to go through this. You have to run down the loose lava rock hill which is probably a good 8 or 9 stories, get to the bottom pick up a car tire and come back up with it. It was well into the upper 90's that day and probably around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I felt pretty bad for this 18 year old kid and what he was about to do. Props to him for putting up with the hazing and getting through it, even if it took him close to half an hour. Personally I would have told them to well you know. It was pretty surreal to watch his peers on top of the hill cracking jokes, laughing their asses off and reminiscing of their own runs at it. Pretty sad we as a species actually enjoy watching each other struggle and being humiliated for no reason at all. 

 photo Initiation_zps97ab13d4.jpg
 photo Power_zps01042dce.jpg
 photo Hazing_zps0a226173.jpg
 photo Action_zps81944fd0.jpg
Every once in a while we'd run into something like this.

 photo obstacle_zps5b88beac.jpg
My idea of a short cut, an expert mountain bike trail.

 photo someshortcut_zps4ebd6b02.jpg
 photo Shortcut_zps0e5c0a55.jpg
 photo whatobstacle_zpsfd159e48.jpg
Casey even though a newbie rider (DRZ as a first bike and only owning it a few months before taking on the obdr) tackled whatever I threw at him with no sweat!

 photo Nailedit_zps163e3a5c.jpg
Though on one section I shamelessly set him up for failure. We had gotten turned around on a trail when the gps wasn't working and ended up at this section. It's not part of the OBDR though it definitely made the ride interesting. This was one of those underground rivers where a thin layer of soil with grass on it covers a moving body of water. We both walked it and figured on a line. Since he had the lighter bike and load I suggested he go first. I set up for the shot of what I thought was gonna be an easy crossing though unfortunately for Casey this wasn't the case. Somehow he managed to find a sinkhole and it was a good one! As I was shooting this sequence I was attacked and chewed by red ants while unknowingly standing on their nest. No one was seriously injured and it only took a few good tugs and some digging to get the DRZ out the hole. As for Marla we just walked her across without incident. Live and learn!

 photo decieving_zps350a2ec0.jpg
 photo Endo1_zps612c90da.jpg
 photo Endo2_zps5cbb8973.jpg
 photo endo3_zpsb02d5bad.jpg
 photo Submarine_zps3aee1e8b.jpg
 photo endofinal_zps697f5916.jpg
What my arm was looking like that night in Bend. No pain.....

 photo Nopain_zpsa4f3656d.jpg
The river we DIDN'T get to camp at that night so we could go get drunk at Ten Barrel in Bend.
 photo Tenbarrel_zps47f62b82.jpg
 photo Life_zps8ce2592e.jpg

So the next morning shortly after leaving Bend and getting back on the trail I had my second incident in the OBDR. The trail had whoops which were pretty close together and with Marla being loaded every time I hit one with any speed I'd bottom out the rear. So I started to swing to the side of the whoops every time one came up. As luck would have it there was a perfectly placed set of logs who decided to make my day a little more interesting. As i was going through the berm on one of the whoops while up on the pegs I noticed a small to medium sized log sticking out into the trail, I had very little time to react. I was able to swing the bike away from the log enough to miss it but my saddle wasn't as lucky. As I was being catapulted through the air I had clear vision of my landing site and log number two who patiently awaited me. Somehow this log ended up being the perfect width to slip right in between the chin and lid of my helmet through the opening where the visor should have been (had it up). It felt like I got punched in the face by a mountain gorilla and I thought for sure my nose was broken. If I hadn't been wearing sunglasses my right eye would have surely been damaged as the glasses themselves got a bit banged up. After shaking it off and pulling off my helmet I checked my face for blood, surprisingly there was only a small amount. Soon after Casey who was tagging behind pulled up and we got Marla back on her feet who off course was unscathed. Turns out all I had were some scratches on my nose, a future black eye, a small cut under my eye and a hell of a story.

 photo Blackeye_zpsa8b01f4d.jpg
 photo Damage_zps27981489.jpg
 photo Damage2_zps805e2c5e.jpg
 photo View_zps3b9563d0.jpg
 photo Spot_zpsa57a15a4.jpg
 photo Natural_zps7a1a9db5.jpg
 photo Marla_zps8662cec3.jpg
Much more to come......

No comments:

Post a Comment