Saturday, November 3, 2012

Born to be wild










     Ever since I first saw Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper riding their blinged out hogs across America going completely against the social grain of the time I’ve dreamed of giving it all up and taking off with no plan to lands unknown. With the direction the world seems to be headed both in social and natural terms I see right now as an opportunity that might not come again. I’ve worked and played hard for the last 15+ years and though fun at times life has also thrown me plenty of blows. There is nothing more Miami can offer me and I’ve longed to leave it along with most of our past for a while. Patagonia has been on my mind since I first heard of it and now with the Chilean government moving to build numerous hydro damns which will change the place forever if not now never. After watching the above dropped doc. “180 degrees south” and learning about North Face original founder’s natural preserve project I’ve been wanting to go down there and get my hands dirty for a worthy cause. I’m originally from Brazil though I’ve spent three quarters of my life in the U.S. so I’m not sure what awaits me in my country of origin other than change, though change is what I’m after. So returning home to Brazil and hopefully scoring a long term volunteer position in the soon to be Patagonia national park are the ultimate goals of the trip. Seeing the west and it’s many state and national parks along with the Americas and the personal changes, people I’ll meet and new insight that comes with such a journey are just a bonus.


I’ve closed off the Miami door for good so there is no going back, the only way to move in life is forward. I quit my dream job earlier this year and sold off and gave away everything I worked for other than half a pallet with a few personal belongings and the KLR and gear on it. Something I’ve dreamed of achieving for a long time! It’s easy to complicate your life yet so hard to simplify it. “ the things you own end up owning you”. I’m frankly not sure if the funds I’m leaving Miami with will get me to my final destination but I’m prepared to do whatever it takes to get to where I’m going. I’ll be guerrilla camping, couch surfing and  hopefully picking up odd jobs along the way. As Sterling so eloquently put it “Shall it be bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?”

The plan is pretty simple or at least as simple as they always appear to be on paper; Say my good byes to Ocala state park. Ride through a portion of the Blue Ridge and enjoy a bit of the Appalachians. Head west through Kentucky and bare through the Midwest. Seeing as many state and national parks in the western U.S as possible. Eventually making my way to the continents end while checking out as much of the rich natural and indigenous history of the Americas. The southern portion of the trip is completely up in the air as are routes, the Darien and so forth. I’ve never been much of a planner and enjoy the uncertainty of not knowing where I’ll sleep or what I’ll see on any given day. I travel with a compass, a map and a good natural sense of direction and adventure. I have no set arrival date and will take as much time to complete this journey as it deems necessary. My only adversary shall be mother nature and her temperament.

I’d like to give a huge thanks to my supportive family, friends and loved ones whom without this trip would be impossible.

it’s just a ride!



If you'd like to help fund my travels and keep the pictures coming with a donation please use the button below. Anything helps!


Check out this great site devoted to adventure motorcycle travel.

www.advrider.com

If you're a vendor or manufacturer and would like to sponsor my trip in anyway please contact me.


Make a difference!

http://www.conservacionpatagonica.org/

 http://www.sinrepresas.com/

http://www.patagoniasinrepresas.cl  


No comments:

Post a Comment