Friday, December 6, 2013

Marla

  So after running into some Utah "mud" recently which is more like quick set cement and the fact that Marla just clicked off 31,000 miles her clutch finally decided to go. First time she has ever left me walking and since the failure was more my fault than anything I really can't complain.    I picked up a EBC heavy duty disc set as well as their heavier springs and the install was a breeze, clutch pull is only slightly harder. Since for the right case to come off the water pump had to be disassembled and I already had the parts I went ahead and swapped all its seals as well. Supposedly they go around 30k or so and I had ordered the parts a while back as insurance. But since my philosophy has always been "If it ain't broke don't fuck with it!" I hadn't gotten in there to mess with them. While down there I also noticed that the clutch cable was on it's last leg and went ahead and replaced it as well. 

   One thing that blew my mind after pulling the case is once again how clean the internals of this motor look. All visible bearings and gears look practically new with hardly any wear or discoloration. This is the third time this case has been out including when it was installed at the factory. The second and last time I personally had it off was back in miami over a year ago when my girl was only 5k. So to see the internals looking exactly as they did 26,000 hard miles ago brought a huge smile to my face. Not to mention reinforced my "faith" in not only Marla but KLR's in general. This also goes to show that these bikes just like the tractors that they are love plain diesel oil and all the hype about overpriced synthetics and moto specific oil is just that hype! Rotella 15W40 from 5,000 miles on and changed religiously every 2k, that's all it takes.

 photo EBC_zps05b0fc9d.jpg  photo MrClean_zpsd11705db.jpg
 photo Marla_zps3d82f30e.jpg
 photo H2O_zps9a28287a.jpg
 photo Rotella_zpsc5921055.jpg

The poor girl has been through alot this passed year and even so has never skipped a beat and has always taken me anywhere I wanted to go. Looking at her sometimes it's hard to believe she's the same pristine machine I started this journey with but then again neither am I. To twenty six thousand amazing miles of the greatest riding anyone could ever ask for and many more to come!

Marla Singer
 photo 11.jpg

And to all the KTM/BMW riding KLR haters and bashers out there (and you know exactly who you are) Marla and I gladly give you the double finger salute! Keep your orange, flashy, overpriced, over hyped, badly engineered and over complicated poor european excuses of a motorcycle and all the bullshit that comes with them. When it's all said and done and zombies take over the world Marla and I will be riding around decapitating the walking dead long after your tightly scheduled valve adjustments, disintegrating wheel bearings, dead fuel pumps, blown shocks, self destructing 2nd gears and exploded final drives leave you on the side of the road for zombie food.

 photo salute.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Fucking right. Glad you're still killin' it out there in the freeze, brother.

    ReplyDelete